Saturday, June 20, 2009

Limping Dog Bigger Problem Than Limping Humans

I'm not a veterinarian. I'm the first to admit that. But, I work with some great veterinarians, and I've been doing this sort of work with animals and vets for quite a while, ten years together with strays. Experience is a great teacher.

So, I get frustrated and sensitive when people without the experience start offering their opinions like they have a knowledge beyond their education, training or experience. It happens often. I take someone who is very interested in helping the animals out on a mission, or I meet somebody and help an animal they reported to me. The next thing I know, these people think they are experts. Is this human nature? Ego? Something else?

Some "animal friends" seem to have convinced themselves that this or that dog needs to be euthanized, and call us expecting to be validated in their belief. If we, or our vet, does not agree, they seem to be upset with US! One would expect the "friend" would be happy that they don't have to put the animal down. I don't get it.

Its not like we don't euthanize when necessary. Remember Morris? Remember Flower? Even Lupa, and others I've talked about on this blog. So, when I say that we are doing what is required for a dog to have a quality life, and their condition is under control, why would a novice question me? I'm all for a second opinion... but that opinion should be informed by knowledge or experience, don't you think?

Funny thing is, in this most recent situation... the dog is clearly in better condition now than she was previously, and the issue that is of most concern to the "animal friend" was there before. Yet, now he wants to euthanize?

Strays on the streets have become society's problem. Occasionally, and usually for reasons that have nothing to do with the strays, the problem is trotted out so that bureaucrats can "solve" it publicly. Yet, for the strays themselves, life on the street may be shorter, but it is of more quality during that period than being incarcerated in one of the "shelters" that merely warehouse the animals until their life is over. Their spirit and soul leaves much sooner.

And we do not want anyone to suffer, but euthanize because the picture isn't pretty, that is wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should put humans down as easily as they would like to put down our dog friends.

I commend you, Mia for remembering those dogs who have passed, by name. A memorial to a little life, etched into time and will never be forgotten.

Mother in Action said...

Kath, thanks...remember Flower, our first client.