Sunday, June 22, 2008

Whales Die of Heartbreak

Interesting article today about; hunted, rammed poisoned, whales may die from heartbreak too.


For me this is not a question of "may", in my opinion they can and do!. The whales are living, feeling, nursing mammals that form "families" and have many of the same organs as us. They display many similar emotions as we humans. If we would be hunted, rammed or poisoned (or family members would be) that would stress our heart, too. If we do scientific research on animals and then apply the results for human ailments and conditions, why would we think the results would be so different in the area of "feelings"? My guess is that we don't like to put the same emotions on animals as we humans have, since then it would be harder to eat something or wear something that we could relate to on that level.

Many months ago, I posted a link to a disturbing video of dogs being skinned alive for their coats. It is impossible to watch that video and not feel the anguish and pain the dogs are going through. This is not an isolated case... all animals have feelings and emotions, many very similar to our own.


Of course the whales have other enemies, like the fishnet, pollution and change in the environment, and from what I have been told, sonar and depth charges.


When I was I child taking a bath I could lay with my head under the water and fart!! I was amazed how loud the noise would be under water.

Think of a depth charge (underwater bomb)! The sound from an explosive training in water. How loud that would turn out to be. Sonar is sound waves echoing through the water... if small sounds resonate for long distances like that, imagine the impact from an explosion, even many miles away!


I was told that an autopsy made on stranded whales showed that the whales had broken eardrums.

While swimming, the hypothesis goes, an explosion nearby broke the whales' eardrums, and they lost their natural sonar capacity, and in general confusion, lost their orientation. That is one theory why some whales have run themselves aground and been stranded.


This is painful Amore!

No comments: