Friday, June 27, 2008

Poisoned Again

Last week you could read about Tjojs being sick. We had to go to the veterinarian clinic for treatment and later give her an IV at home. What I didn't write was that one week later Clyde got the same symptoms as Tjojs and another round to the veterinarian clinic for Clyde's treatment. In my mind I couldn't understand how my dogs that are otherwise so healthy started to get sicker and sicker. They where kept more isolated from other dogs than before, no play friends. And de-wormed and front line regularly. Same food as always, I couldn't understand what was happening!

Outside our house is a small area of dirt and high grass that ever since we came here, we let out the "kids" once a day so they can run off some energy. Sometimes, our neighbors had their dogs out also, so little new "business cards" to read by our dogs. This area is slightly downhill from the street where trash piles up.

Recently, suddenly, two of our dogs became ill, with internal bleeding. My intuition told me it could be rat poison. With all the garbage here it didn't feel like a wrong thought at all. I talked to a veterinarian who said it was very rare that they would put out poison, but my husband commented that there was a noticeable lack of rats considering the abundance of trash at the moment.

One evening my landlord came by and in poor Italian I asked if he had put out any poison. Oh yes he had, but the doctor told him it was not harmful for children or dogs. --Eh, mammals-- we all have stomachs and of course it is about the volume of poison. Even if our dogs don't go snooping around the trash, rain run-off from the trash could come down into the grassy area, and end up in the grass. The same grass that Tjojs and Clyde will eat when their stomach isn't quite right.

I asked for the name and froze when I got the label in my hand...Facorat/Brodifacoum a very strong rat poison that can kill not only rats, but possums, fish and even humans. When rats eat it, it causes a long and painful death. When the rats who have eaten it are urinating they are even letting out poison in grass--where some dogs chew.

Internal bleeding, painful and long death. I do wonder how many stray dogs have gotten this poison into their system, and are right now laying somewhere waiting and waiting to be relieved from their suffering. And how many stray cats have caught and eaten a dying rat... and are now poisoned themselves?

Wouldn't it be better if they just collected the trash like every other civilized country?

This is painful Amore

No comments: