Thursday, November 26, 2009

LUSSY'S ADVENTURE

Lussy was adopted by a family that already had a young dog, and in the family a 2 year-old boy.

One day I got to know that the family couldn't keep Lussy, I was told she was snapping towards their son. But the mother wanted to have help since she loved the dog. I told the go-between that I could and would drive over and help them every day, for free. They would take care of it. I told them that for any problem, I would be there in a heartbeat. The go-between told me that it was the son that was "not nice to the dog."

A week later I got a phone call, now they won't keep the dog. Lussy has been locked in but has been allowed out when the boy is sleeping. Not a good way for the dog to live.

My heart stopped. Poor Lussy, another family that doesn't want her. But I couldn't believe Lussy was that bad. She had been with my daughter, we were different people carrying her around and interacting with her.


I knew she was like a "Princess," loved to be a lap-dog and could be around other dogs and children.

I called the lady and made the arrangment that I would pick Lussy up in two days at 09.30

At the day, ten minutes late, me and my 4 year-old daughter rang the door. No one answered. I looked around and there were a lot of garbage bags outside the door (I can have that too,) toys laying around, maybe they were sleeping? I rang la ong time on the doorbell. Finally, the lady opens the door and their 2 year-old peeks behind her legs...sure enough they were sleeping. She had completely forgot about our agreement.

Lussy was so happy to see me, she yelped and jumped up in my arms. She wasn't still one minute, it was difficult to get the collar on.

I asked about the snapping and why she thought Lussy would do that?

The answer was that the son played rough with the dog, "since we as parents play rough with our son". At the same moment the boy bangs his big plastic toy gun on Olivia's head.

I took Olivia and Lussy under my arms and hurried out, very angry. It clearly wasn't Lussy that was the problem in this situation... it was the "parents".

Lussy loving-up on Olivia in the car after retrieving her from the abortive adoptive family.
Martina and one of her other dogs. Can't you just see the Amore in her eyes?

A wonderful young Italian woman agreed to try to foster Lussy and a few days later, I got this email from her;

She is beautiful and very sweet. My dogs love Lussy and Lussy loves my dogs and my cat. They have a lot of fun and play together all day! Last night the princess has stayed with me on my bed. Perhaps we have already found a wonderful adoption for her, though, when she goes to live with her new family, I will be sad because I already love her so much and she is already attached to me.
Be happy and peaceful.
She is really like a little princess with me.
Lussy sends you a big kiss.
I will communicate to you all the news.
See you soon.
Martina & Lussy

Lussy in Martina's arms.

My heart was so happy, I was worried but my gut said something else. One week later I got this email:


Hello Mia,


we finally found the adoption to the Princess Lussy. We chose a nice lady who comes from Pisa and has three cats. We believe that Lussy arrives in her new home on weekends. Yesterday I cried so much for this information but I am happy that Lussy has found a family. She is fantastic and very sweet.When I have more news I will inform you immediately.Thanks very much for giving me these beautiful days with Lussy.


Many kisses Martina


Good Luck Amore Lussy, I hope and pray that this is your final, "forever" destination. I will keep an eye on you, though. Martina, a big thank you to you for your wonderful help and heart.


Above three (3) pictures are Martina's other dogs. As you can see, she is a big animal lover, and spends much time working at the Rossella Shelter helping the many souls there. Don't these guys just look so content?

No comments: