Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Fighting Spirit for the Animals in Italy

She is so petite but have so much strength; Dr Dorothea Fritz. Photo Copyright(C) 2007 Mia Mattsson-Mercer

Back in 1999, I went to an animal conference in Sofia, Bulgaria. Two people there inspired me so much that when I got home to Stockholm, I started the foundation Animals without Limits.

From the conference, I remember a petite lady who had enormous energy and inspiration when she spoke to us about the spay and neuter program she had created and ran. Never would I have guessed that I would meet her in person some years later.

This year my family and I moved to Italy and little would I know what had happened to the lady that inspired me so much with her work back in 1999.

I was standing inside an US veterinarian clinic, a woman hands me a paper with three veterinarians that they recommend. My eyes stopped at the name Dr. Fritz. I couldn't believe it, She was local to us, and she was still crusading for the animals! I had to meet her again.

I called her and I hadn't forgot her warm giggling in between her serious work. Her clinic is amazing and her work for the animals is even more amazing. After 24 years with this difficult work, she is still going strong, working tirelessly to help control the dog and cat (over)population. I had the privilege to get a private tour and an interview for an upcoming project of mine.

She is truly the animal's friend, she is fighting with not just the economic side, but also the Parliament and people who don't like her work.

She is having a spay and neuter clinic, kennel, re-adopting stray dogs, and she also rescued four Buffalo males, not to mention the cats, rabbits and ducks.

You can read more about her work and make a donation ... please,

http://www.lega-pro-animale.de/

http://web.tiscali.it/legaproanimale/

Amore!

No comments: