Saturday, October 10, 2009

ONE DAY LATER



This is from Monty's family--please before reading, read yesterdays blog.


Monty's Dad:

"As I finished my movie at 1:30 am, and got up from my couch, I did not hear the scritch scratch of dog claws on the wood floor.
Nobody stayed with me until I finished the movie. And nobody came from the room to see what I was doing.
As I type these words, nobody comes to join me even at the latest hours in the night. I don’t hear that end of the day sigh. And there seems to be a stillness in the house.

As I turn off the light, there won’t be a rustle to follow me to the room. I won’t have to step lightly and step over something as I find my bed.
And I won't have to give the bed sheets an extra tug from under a weight.
There isn’t the tinkling of dog tags on the floor. There won’t be the cascading sound of dog food in the morning. When I shut the door so mom doesn’t wake up, there won’t be a nose at the doorway to either get our or to get in.

And I won't hear the gentle tap on the doorknob. When I opened the door to look outside, there wasn’t another pair of eyes looking out into the world with me.

As I picked up a piece of popcorn I dropped, I realized that I was picking it up because it would still be there in the morning.
As I closed the doors to the chicken fence, I didn’t watch my step in the back yard. The house seems so still and quiet. The halls so clear. The floor so bare. The other half of the couch never filled. My feet just a little colder. There's never a warm spot the bottoms of my feet find on the floor.
As we plan a trip to Charlotte on Sunday, it seemed so easy just to pack up and go. And there's not a rush to get back. There’s such a longing to see his face again.
To see the same look my whole family gives me that says, “What should we do now, dad?”

And Monty's "Mom" wrote;

How strong and brave my Monty always was...even at the end.
How Isa shared her stuffed animals when she saw that Gerhard and I were crying
Messages from friends who thought our dog was great...even if they never met him
How it feels like Monty is still around me In-laws who say things like "Don't worry, I'm bringing food." and then plan to take you to Ikea to cheer everyone up
*****My special boy
My "big handsome guy"

We were together at the first and together at the last. I'm human and selfish and will always miss you. I will see you again.

I love you. Mom






(I asked for permission to post this. In the middle off the sadness so much love one dog gave so many deserves to be revealed and honored. On Facebook, I have never seen so many comments before. That's AMORE)

2 comments:

Gerhard said...

Amore. I'm so amazed that so many people really loved our dog like a member of, not only our family, but like a member of their families as well. I'm still realizing how much effect his life had on so many people. And he was just our big guy...our goofy Shepherd. I'm humbled.

Anonymous said...

To the Guevarra family,

As I read the touching things you wrote about Monty, it brought a tear to my eyes. He was truly a very loved dog... the devotion he clearly showed to you was a reflection of the love and affection you had for him.
I suspect, no matter how many other animals come into your life, and no matter how much you love each of them, Monty will forever be "your dog".

Ranger was that way for me.

I found the poem about the "Rainbow Bridge" some years ago, and it helped me to grieve Ranger when we lost him last year. You can find it at the following link:
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Farewell, Monty. You will be with your family again across Rainbow Bridge, I'm sure of it.

Todd