Friday, October 9, 2009

Heaven got Another Angel Today

When I first met Monty I felt more comfortable talking to him than talking to the new coffee ladies. Monty always made you relaxed and welcome, well, if you had a heart of kindness. If not he was the best guard dog. Monty lived with a big, warm, animal-loving family with their heads on right, and their hearts in the right places.

Monty got sick very quickly, Jenn wrote;
"Worried about Monty. Not hungry (even for treats), pale gums, cold muzzle and ears. I think he's having some internal bleeding. My poor guy."


Jenn and I had email contact, talking about knowing when the time is here to make the appointment to give our friend "the wings of heaven". For them (the dogs) it's nothing; they are like I always say "mini Buddhist's" they know when it is time to go. Leaving the family with a sad heart is harder for them, that's how loyal their mind and heart is.


I told Jenn to meditate together with Monty and they had some wonderful experiences together, that would help her to move on;
"It's about 2 am here. We were sitting with Monty, listening to him breathing...it sounded worse tonight. At one point, he sat up and started breathing really hard and just looked straight into my eyes with this "help me" look. He started licking my chin and panting and panting. His eyes were pleading. It was so scary to see him fight for air like that. I got him to calm down, and he even ate some turkey that I hand fed him. We're going to call the vet later today. We're still figuring out how we're going to tell the kids.
Gabe's going to be destroyed. Neither Gerhard nor I think Monty will make it through the weekend like this. Gerhard and I sat with Monty and told stories we remember. We told Monty about his dog mom and dad, his brothers and sisters. We told him he was always a good dog and that we were sorry we weren't more patient sometimes or if we took shorter walks some days. I told him it was okay to go and that we would always be here so he could find us. Even the cats came around him and our skittish one, Morgan, who ALWAYS runs from Monty came up, sniffed his ear, and meowed and meowed at us. Morgan sat right by Monty and just watched him. Isis too, was watching. They know. We don't want to admit it, but the animals know. I'm scared he'll have another attack during the night, but I'm going to try to sleep so he can sleep too. I know he sleeps better when we're all in our places at night. "

Today Monty got his golden shiny wings. Thank you Monty for welcoming me into your home when I felt kind of lost in my new home, North Carolina.

5 comments:

Gerhard said...

Thank you so much for your help Mia. Today has been hard, but I know it was his time because he told me so. I miss him so much and the house seems too big all of a sudden.

Mother in Action said...

You did all the work. I am so proud over you and proud to be your friend. I can understand the empty house feeling...think how much they can give.

Love and Light Always

Betty said...

I'm sorry to read about your dog. We've had a few family pets get their Angle wings too. My kids keep asking if they go to heaven so I've been reading a book by Susi Pittman called Animals in Heaven? Catholics Want to Know! She provides a compelling evidence for animals to be present in heaven. She also is a big believer that we are all stewards of creation.

Mother in Action said...

Hi Betty,

Many thanks for sharing and the book looks really interesting.

Gerhard said...

We read the kids a book called "Dog Heaven". There are some great books about this sort of thing out there. I can't say it makes it easier, but it's nice to imagine our Monty running around with other dogs and having a blast.
We miss him terribly...every day...all of us miss him so much.