Sunday, August 11, 2013

ART IN KINDERGARTEN GIVES MOMMY JOY


Yesterday evening before bedtime my wonderful five-year-old son and I talked over the importance of having good friends. He was very upset about not having many friends. I told Max that having a few really good friends in life was very good.  It was the quality of the friendship, not the amount of friends that was important. I could see Max’ brain going, and suddenly he looked at me with the biggest blue eyes, “I got you mom, you are my best friend!

Moments like that are priceless, to keep and cherish those moments in your heart is LOVE.

My Max goes to a German Kindergarten and he loves it. I love it too. It’s a two minute walk from our house. They play outside every morning from 10.00 until I pick him up at 12.00 for lunch at our home. What a joy to sit and have lunch with him and listen to his day --- who hit him and who he hit!


One day months ago they had art day and his whole class painted one picture together. The teacher hung it up on the wall and in my eyes; it was the most beautiful painting in the world.

I loved the colors! I loved the perspective. That every child in the class had contributed to its creation made it special. Every morning it made me smile entering the classroom. I asked half seriously, half joking how much it was, because I wanted to buy the painting. 
The teacher smiled and told me other parents had asked them the same question and perhaps one day they would have an exhibition.

And so, months later, the Kindergarten held an Open House, art exhibition and auction.  I was so happy when I received my invitation.



We were many parents and it was a lovely day, warm sunshine, home baked cakes and even champagne. Parents in the village walking through, inspecting the art and projects the children of different ages had made. Neighbors reconnecting with neighbors, friends and teachers all chatting together, not at all concerned with the diversity of backgrounds and ethnicities.  Or, perhaps because of it.




The auction started and “my” painting came up first. We started out at the price of €10. Several were bidding initially, but It quickly became a contest between me and one other man, each stubbornly bidding against each other, running up the price. €20… €22... €25.  I felt positive excitement. €30… €42 … €51….On top of everything, my German was poor. €55… €60….. I didn’t understand if I was bidding over myself twice or what?  €65 … People laughed!  €67… I was giddy!  €68… my husband whispered behind my ear, “stop it now! Just stop it!”  €70…

I was determined. €72… The painting had to be mine, €75…for months I had already known where I would hang the colorful masterpiece.  €82…

And VICTORY!!!…at €90, the artwork became mine!  I had to dash home to get the extra money!



I was like a little kid who had won her first competition. This day was the best, colorful day in a long time for me. Walking in the sunshine carrying home the “Rexingener Picasso” and hanging it in my office was simply heaven. Such a proud Mom!

That’s Amore!





PS: The money that was collected through the auction during the Open House, went toward the Kindergarten’s fundraising for a new playground. They were very happily surprised that the painting sold for as much as it did.  For me, it was a win-win day!





No comments: