Thursday, January 1, 2009

Firecrackers

Gosh I hate them! Ever since I got Tjojs, my 13 year-old dog have I hated fire crackers.

Tjojs became so scared, and would take off in panic in the middle of the city: Stockholm, Sweden. With heavy traffic, nothing would stop her, not even me calling, or yelling in a panic myself.

In Stockholm they would start with the darn fire crackers in the middle of December and continue until middle of January. It was a nightmare during this time.

It made me start thinking of the other poor animals that became scared, and the babies that didn't understand what that big terrible wising different noise was.


I celebrated one New Year in Switzerland with no fire crackers from anybody; at midnight all the churches started to play their bells. It was magic, it was beautiful and no animals got scared, and not even people got their fingers burned off.

Working with my foundation AWL, in Bosnia made me see another dark side of the use of firecrackers. At the zoo, the brown bear Mrki alone in his cage, some teenagers threw in firecrackers, laughing while he danced out of abject fear and frightfulness.

And today in Italy, after all the dogs got crazy when the people blew off a whole factory-full of fireworks (it felt like that), and we stood up in our beds as they popped and exploded and whizzed from midnight until well past 1:00 am. (ok I am an old mom sleeping at 2100 and even if it wasn't because I was old I don't care about midnight anymore)

This morning, still sleepy, we drove to feed the puppies. They were gone!

Devastated I called, and called for them. We waited.

No puppies came out, greeting me like they had done the day before.

The puppies are normally jumpy about a lot of things, of course they reacted at this night with the hell broken loose. And even today this shit was continued to be thrown by many teenagers (and a few adults, too).

Garbage problem here in Naples, today it looked like a "pumpkin" war had ended.


For many years many people have wanted fire crackers not to be sold. Petitions have been signed, some politicians have said they would make a big show that could be seen by many Amore people, and done by professionals.

But nothing. One can still buy them in the stores. Why?

MONEY of course! Not amore for others and for the animals, to be sure.

No comments: