Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Another Poor Soul

Olivia my 4 year-old daughter and I were out walking together with our dog Clyde, when we ran into this little stray girl. Young, a couple of months, maybe nine or so, skin and bones. You could see her hip bones standing up, and the ribs you could play xylophone on. Scared, but we talked to her and sat down and she became a little brave and came slowly up. It was a sad sight but at the same time I could tell Olivia how to behave, quiet and no sudden movements, give her time to come to you. This little one was very head shy, you could tell she had been abused.

Olivia, Clyde and me hurried home to get some cat food (a lot of protein) and some pellets in a bowl and returned without Clyde. The little one, a German Shepard mix was up roaming on our four lane main street, not street smart at all. The cars are driving 70-90km/hour and she was zig-zagging back and forth across the highway, scared. Olivia and I held our breath, following slowly so as not to stress her any more than she already was. After 10 minutes we got her off the road and managed to get her attention with our food.

I looked at Olivia holding my hand how she was absorbing in the picture from this dog. I wondered to myself what she could think? She looks up at me and holds up her thumb, "good job"

The picture is not so good, since it started to get dark and I didn't want to stress her more.

No comments: