Sunday, July 6, 2008

We All Have a Story to Tell

I want to share with you a wonderful e mail I received from a woman, and her story about their "kids";

"I read the article about you in the Stars and Stripes recently. I too am horrified at the conditions for homeless or abandoned pets in Italy.

In the last three years we (husband and I) have adopted two dogs from a rescue group near Rome. Both were older dogs around 6 years old. One was a german Shepard and had a family for six years. She then was left at the canile because they could no longer care for her. We were informed that she cried every day for some time.

The other one is a german shepard and labrador mix, and he was left outside to guard the chickens. His owner stopped feeding him, and after some time turned him loose to roam. Local hunters shot him and now one ear is broken and will no longer stand up. A local woman finally captured him after two weeks of trying. We adopted him a month later. He is very sick as he tested positive for 4 types of tick diseases as well as leishmaniasis. A couple of thousand dollars later he is still being treated for things but he is very happy.

These two represent only two of the 10 dogs we have rescued and kept or rehomed in our marriage. I feel it is my duty as a human being to help those who cannot help themselves. We are happy to donate whatever we can to the local shelters ie. food, beds, etc. I regret that I cannot go to the shelters myself. If I did that, we would have 100 dogs. I am too tenderhearted.

Sincerely Elisabeth"

What a wonderful big Amore heart!

No comments: