Saturday, July 19, 2008

Three Legged Amore


Photographs Copyright (C)2008 Naples Friends of Animals

I ran into Genni, the President of Naples Friends of Animals with her husband today, and they told me about their newest rescue. He's a full blooded Cane Corso Mastiff, about 8 months old, but severely malnourished (about 50 lbs when he should be near 100!) and with a horribly broken rear leg. They think it has been broken for months, sticks out at a weird angle to the rear, and will likely require amputation. (Genni says he is an amazing dog)


There is something about three-legged dogs... when they run and play despite their "disability", it shows how we all should take our setsbacks in stride, adapt and overcome.

This conversation with Genni and her husband reminded me of a three-legged client I had had back in Sweden. He was very happy and loved his family, but he was "irritated" because the hallway into the house was always filled with shoes, everywhere! He fell, lost balance and it was always so many shoes!

His Master looked at me with her huge eyes, mouth wide open; "I cannot believe what I am hearing! I take care of other children in my home while their parents are working, and I have four children myself."

She looked at the dog then to me; "I have been nagging on the children to please put the shoes together but no one is listening."

A couple of weeks later an e mail came from this lady thanking me for an interesting session;

"I sat down with all the children and told them that our dog had been to a lady that could 'talk' to the animals, and our dog complained about the shoes everywhere. He was afraid of getting hurt."


"After that conversation the shoes have been placed beautifully together in a long row next to the wall, because no one wants him to fall and get another twisted ankle"

This is children Amore to our four legged--er three legged friends.

AWL are sending Amore to NFOA's Mastiff.

2 comments:

Gerhard said...

Oh what a beautiful dog!
I've seen dogs on tv shows that have 3 legs, or even 2 legs and they seem like the happiest creatures on earth. It seems they are happy just to still be able to move at all. That's how we should all be, thankful for everything we usually take for granted.
Jenn

Mother in Action said...

Thanks Jenn I always love your comments.
He is being called Bull by the Presidents husband, and the President calls him Bull Frog--he jumps so "cute"

I love it!

Amore
Mia