Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ignorance, Pride or Stupidity?

I have stopped at one particular gas station whenever my car needed to be filled up. I like the manager and his employees. We talk a little, he gives Olivia chocolate or a comic book and most importantly, good service. Yesterday, I was on my way to the veterinarian with one of our dogs and made a quick stop for gas. The manager greeted us, and saw our dog.

"Have you seen my two babies," he asked proudly?

I shook my head in a 'no' and followed him behind the gas station office.


In a worn down cage stood two huge Rottweilers --- one male, one female ---and they glared at me. I could see every bone in them stiffened up. I surprised the man by going closer and scratching the male dog behind his ears (don't try this at home). But when the female came closer I backed up.

On top of her ears were two big wounds --- it looked like burned off skin --- red and fleshy.


In the cage was a lot of poop, and just dry sand/dirt. They were ticking bombs! And the worst part is, if they would get loose and something happened to a child or human or another animal, it would be the Rottweiler's fault, not the owner. Sad thought!


Anyway, I told the man that I was heading to the veterinarian and I could bring his dog with me. He took a step back. I explained who I was and that it would be no problem at all. He stiffened up and told me he had medicine for the dog!

I offered to pick up more medicine!

"No, it is the mosquito's"

I tried again, "I know how it is with time, you work a lot and I am going to the veterinarian anyway."

"Ma'am, your car is filled up!"


Ignorance, pride, stupidity or lack of knowledge? Isn't Amore the will to learn?


Later on I asked the veterinarian what it could come from, and described the wounds on the dog. She told me it probably was leishamaniasis, and it can be a danger for people/animals with mosquito's that are carrier of disease.

No comments: