Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ratatouilles Short Visit

This morning didn't start out very well for one rat. The dogs were out in the garden and suddenly I sense something is going on--mother's instinct maybe? I look outside and can see Clyde our big Collie and Capri our mix jumping and being totally exited.

I ran out yelling at them to stop it! It is then I see what it was they were all excited about... they were trying to kill a rat!!

Different emotions flushed through me. Scared since there is something about rats that makes me get goose bumps. Old fairy stories, maybe?

The other feeling was, "oh, no, poor thing!"

With the dogs off of it, I could see the rat was still alive but in shock. I took the dogs inside and went out several times to check on the rat. I didn't want it in the yard, and I didn't want it to die. So many mixed feelings about rats, since I actually have had rats as clients in Sweden and I know they are very smart. But nobody wants to deal with the normal garbage/sewer rats they have here in Italy!
Our dogs' veterinarian told me once, "Rats are very intelligent creatures and carry the poison around to watch what happen to the animals they place it on."

The little Ratatouille died while I was debating what to do with it--and with a shovel my neighbor took him--sorry there is something about rats and snakes even if they are dead--and then what to do? .....Up in the trash cans?

No, I cannot put the rat there--ok, I am not buying a funeral for him, but it just feels so....so disrespectful to throw a formerly living creature among trash...well it would be like being buried in a Smorgasbord for it, wouldn't it?! Hmm... maybe not a bad thought.

For him, garbage is Amore!

2 comments:

sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Mia, Thanks for your nice visiting on my blog!

You have a great blog and I admire so much your work with animals! I think that Shiloh looks like my dog Flora. If you have the time, take a look on Flora.

Just curious, how do you find my blog?

Mother in Action said...

Hi Sonia,

Thank you for your kind words, that keeps me going.
You are so right, Shiloh and beautiful Flora do look alike. The pictures are so warm and wonderful.
I have google alert on strays, so your blog came up with your pictures on strays. And I liked your blog a lot. Normaly I so not get any time to look at others blog. With 5 dogs, 2 small children and one husband!