Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Language

Missing In Action = MIA

Living in a Military atmosphere in North Carolina (Fayetteville is dominated by Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base) isn’t always easy, specially for one such as me who comes from a country with a strong neutral tradition --- Sweden. Sure we have an Army, but we don’t see them or hear much about them.
When I was expecting my daughter Olivia I was so happy and wanted the whole word to know about it, too. On a t-shirt I ironed my name with white letters on my chest, and Olivia’s name on my belly. I thought it was obvious that it showed I was pregnant and the child’s name was “Olivia”, and my name must be “Mia”.
However, I was so surprised one day when a lady approached me and burst out with sympathy in her voice, “ Oh Honey, I am so sorry that Olivia is missing in action!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, that's hilarious! Only in Fayetteville, huh?