Thursday, June 21, 2007

Notes from Bahrain, Middle East



At the base I met the dog handlers and LT Garrett Kasper, the Public Affairs officer. I happened to talk the most to Master-At-Arms First Class Petty Officer Barry Tremble, a warm-hearted and sympathetic man who really listened to his two work-dogs. Barry realised the importance of good communication with the dogs and had a hard time parting from them when it was time for him to be transferred to another base in another country.
I really admired Barry, because even though it hurt him to part from his dogs, he never closed his heart but kept it open for the next four-legged friend.

Army gets educated dogs from Germany and uses them for patrolling, mine searching and tracking. There are seventeen dogs at US Naval Support Activity Bahrain. Most of them are Labradors or German Shepards, all with different personalities. Barry and I crouched down in front of two dog cages. I pointed at one of the dogs and said: “He needs a lot of mental training and gets a real kick from working.” Barry nodded and told me that that was the case. I looked at the other dog, which was lying on the floor, looking back at us. “He needs a lot of emotional safety, less exercise and more feeling, he wants to join in and receive warmth.”
Barry told me that this dog hadn’t had anyone to take him on for some time; he had always had to wait. Other dog carriers didn’t think they got along with him and changed to another dog, but no one were mean to this dog. It was more a lack of communication.
The result; This dog felt abandoned and downhearted. Barry felt that and took him under his protection. He always brought the dog into his office and gave him as much emotional attention as he possibly could. When the dog had “a day off”, Barry brought him out to play catch with balls.

Barry is a man who speaks from both his heart and his mind. I hope that someday he will bring about his knowledge and compassion to other people. I also asked Barry if he believed that animals have a soul:
“Of course, from butterflies to the largest bird. But I call it spirit. If you remove a dog from it’s spirit, the dog dies spiritually, and only an empty shell remains”.

The hours passed quickly and I really enjoyed being with the dog handlers and their dogs. I felt the mutual respect and trust that made it possible to conduct a job well done together. For a while I lost myself in dreams and wished that I could add some of my knowledge to them and work with these equipages that I admired so. Maybe one day!

On the plane home my heart was filled with warmth over everything I had been allowed to see and experience, the colours, the scents, the tastes, the sounds. It felt as I had met life itself.
A part of me stayed behind in the heart of Bahrain.

No comments: