Monday, August 3, 2009

Defending His Own Pain

After toady's mission I went home and cried. I had a face during the morning that would support others involved, since I know their pain.

We were going to move an abandoned dog from an open Parco. The Italians who lived there didn't want the dog and hit him with brooms and other sharp equipments. Since he was abandoned he returned down to the place were he had once felt secure, outside what had been "his" villa. He could snap at you if you came and tried touching his head but that was just a defence mechanism.


When I came there today he had gotten into an Italian garden and couldn't get out. He sat so close to the fence, happy when we came in. I had a collar and leash and after some minutes I got him, without need to tranquilize him. I got him into the SUV and you could understand he had been in a car many times before. He loved sitting there in the A/C while we drove to the veterinarian to have him castrated.


"Sammie" as we named him, had of course no microchip, no collar, and when it was time to weigh him, he showed his teeth. We tried to put a muzzle on, and it didn't work, he snapped at us. Trying to do the injections in his neck, he bit me and he went after my hand four times.


"Sammie", likely a Husky/Sheltie mix, had been so damaged by people hitting him, and we also don't know why someone abandoned him. Clearly he had been someone's pet before.


We couldn't dare to adopt Sammie to anyone since he bit without a warning; not just once but many times because he was scared. We did the right thing by removing him from his cruel environment, or so some people say. One part of me says that too, but darn it that a dog has to pay a price --- his life --- because of cruelty and stupidity and irresponsibility of humans. I most of all wish the people who loved him as a family member and then left him when they departed, would know that their little friend isn't happily living with some other family, but rather had to be put down after being abused for too long by cruel and stupid people.

No comments: