Saturday, February 23, 2008

Rifugio St Francesco Italy

Last Friday, my teacher/translator Vittoria and I, went to one of the shelters here in Southern Italy, "Rifugio St Francesco".
I had heard that this one would be a "positive" one, and indeed it was positive, even if I and so many others wish there are no need for shelters. Some would say that they would euthanize the dogs since it is not a worthy life for a dog to sit locked in.

I cannot say I share the same opinion. I have learned through all my trips around the world that every shelter is different. It depends on how well it is taken cared of, and how long a dog has to stay before being adopted. And, how does "the outside" look: a lot of traffic, aggressive people or children?

Anyway, this shelter was opened in 1960 and it is private, without "help" from the Government.
Five people are employed, working to improve the cages that the dogs are living in
(around 5-6 dogs in each). At the moment they have 500 dogs.

It was such a wonderful moment to meet them, some dogs were roaming outside-- those who have a great difficulty to be locked in. There were old dogs, three-legged dogs, puppies; big ones and small ones and everything in between.

So many people want a "pure bred" dog. But there are so many souls out there already, waiting for the family or master they deserve. If you are even thinking about a dog, take a trip to a shelter near you. There will always be someone for you!

This is Amore!

No comments: