Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Friendship and Morale

A couple of days ago, I ran into a woman that I have met in different places here in Italy. She is from Norway, and just had her first child. Being away from home and help can be difficult in many ways.

She looked thin and pale, so I asked how everything was going with her and their new daughter. She was nearly in tears when she told me how tired and alone she felt, her husband did as much as possible, but he worked full time, and many times you need help and advice from another female.

I asked her if she didn't have any friends here that could help her or visit and have a cup of coffee. Just to have an adult conversation can boost anybody's mood.

Her tears rolled down her check. "First they said I had to call them, they didn't want to bother me now when I had a newborn. A couple of days later I called and invited them over for coffee, to come over and chat a little, but no one has returned my call."

It is hard to be away from home, your country, family and friends, it is darned hard. I dislike people who say they will help and then never return a call or just check in. I think it would be much better for them to not say anything at all. At least it would not give anyone any hope of support and friendship.

Now this time when we had our second child, I was more prepared for people's "oh I will help you".

I smiled and remembered what my "Bosnian mother" once told me; "Let people show their friendship instead of believing their words."

"Mom", that's Amore! You have showed me loyal friendship and love for eight years now.

I remember one "friend" who had a big party in December this year, and her excuse for not inviting me and my family was; "well you are busy now taking care of a new baby so I didn't think you would have time to come."

"Assumption or fact?" I asked her.

So when people ask me why more people are not helping animals, or children, I can just look at this story and sadly say; "If we don't support each other, how can we support those on the outside?"

This is not Amore!

No comments: