Monday, January 7, 2008

Animal Rights? Children Rights?



Olivia and I went on a "mission" out to visit Dr. Dorothea Fritz at her clinic. It was a Sunday, when the clinic was closed so we could have Dorothea all to ourselves, walking around. Olivia loved every moment off it, and cried when it was time to leave.

Being a parent is really hard. Suddenly, you realize that when it was only you, you could have your own opinion(s). But raising a child(ren) you don't want to "color" them too much by your own thoughts and beliefs in life.

One example; I am an vegetarian since many years ago, but I want my daughter to make her own decision if she wants to be a vegetarian or meat eater. Well, this is kind off an "easy" thought process in life, but then I tumbled over another situation from Olivia's day care center.

The class was going to a circus with lions, elephants, etc. and I who am not that fond off circuses-- since I have not much experience with them-- and, it is different from circus to circus. I tried to explain to a friend of mine that it is the people who either are taking very good care of their animals or those who are abusing their animals (lack of food and medications, horrible living conditions).

On the other hand, it is a hard question to discuss, since many animals in freedom today are living under poor conditions since we, the humans, are cutting down the trees on their land, food and the hunting can also be cruel not to mention to be hit by a car (here there are so many dogs run over and just left). It is so hard to say it is wrong or right to visit the circus(es), after all the animals are housed and fed, and have a "job".

But, would I send my daughter together with her friends to the circus, or would I "color" her with my own opinions?

How would Olivia feel when all her friends would go, and she had to stay home?

And all you want to teach them is; Amore!

No comments: