Sunday, June 24, 2007

Notes from Bosnia

I had been in Sarajevo for some time, and my money was gone from helping dogs, or bribing people not to kill any more animals. The money started to thin out. It went to people who transported wounded dogs and to people with higher positions who would sign papers so we could work undisturbed for some time. My last “book money” from the first two books I wrote was spent, and now I was as poor as the other people. I had made a huge mistake. But I found it impossible to pass some of the poor children and not buy them bread in the bakery, or to take the dog with a slashed throat to the veterinarian.
Ignorance! I couldn’t do that. Life felt so unfair, and watching the most vulnerable souls suffering because of people’s stupidity and selfishness was heartbreaking. In fact, going back home to Western Europe was the hardest thing I have ever done. To see our independence and wealth and yet hearing people complain. The frustration started to grow inside of me.

In Sarajevo I got an invitation to visit children in kindergarten. What an incredible joy to meet these children with all their curiosity and willingness to learn. The teachers were so caring towards them and welcomed me with open arms. I was amazed.
Outside you could see the buildings pock-marked with holes from bullets and rockets. Most of the buildings were made of concrete and the color grey dominated. But when the teachers opened the doors to these buildings, I saw color and joy --- colorful paintings by the students. Most of the paintings were of animals, and below one of them I read, “Animals do have a soul.”
The children seemed so happy. And when I left, they gave me a bag full of animal paintings to bring home to Sweden.

No comments: