Sunday, November 23, 2008

Feeding Strays?

This morning we went back to the skeletal houses (read below) to feed Truffle and Hunty. As we drove up, from the car I could spot Truffle's white tail wagging, far away. I got out of the car and was greeted by Hunty and Truffle with a lot of affection ---I nearly lost my balance. Hunty's eye looked much better, and both seemed in such a good spirit/mood.

I saw they hadn't been eating much of the dry food that left for them last night (returning for the third time), but when I opened the can of juicy meat they where all over it, and inhaled it with great joy.

A friend of mine later asked why they didn't finish the dry food....if they are so skinny and bony?

The answer: Strays are mostly surviving from humans' garbage; from pasta and other wet food. Good and soft. For them that is a delicacy.

It does make me wonder when some people say you shouldn't give your dog table scraps...well ask a stray!

When strays are eating "wet" food, they don't have to search for water to drink. But when they get dry food, they need to drink a lot. Sometimes, it can be hard for them to find water, especially when the summer here is more than 8 months long, and hot! Don't tell me that the strays didn't figure this out in a splendid way.

This is darn Amore surviving intelligence!

Copyright (c)2008 Mia Mattsson-Mercer


No comments: