Monday, April 21, 2014

TO DARE TO LET GO


To dare let go


The first time I saw Ariel was back in 2008, at one of the worst shelters in southern Italy.  The dogs were standing in their own feces.  Food, they received every fifth day and the lack of water often made them drink their own urine.

Amidst all the filth and suffering, Ariel captured my eyes and my heart.  A black and white, shaggy dog, she happily limped up to the fence with her misshapen front leg.  The leg had been broken in four different places and had self healed long ago.  It hurt my soul to think of what she had gone through, but to see her positivity gave me an incredible strength.  She had been in four different shelters during her life, likely the vast majority of her life spent behind bars.  I whispered into her ear that she could come home with me. That day I adopted Ariel and four other dogs.

The smell was cruel in that place, only the flies felt lucky!  Ariel had an incredible ability to open up other people's hearts.  When the volunteers saw her misshapen leg, they expressed their horror. The next moment they looked into her eyes and Ariel's tail started to go like a propeller.  She healed people, implanted a calmness inside of them.  Suddenly, they saw the beauty, her soul, pure and forgiving.

One morning, after five wonderful years and a move to Germany together, I saw that her energies were not as vibrant as usual. We had a blood test done.  The result was devastating to me!  Her internal organs were beginning to shut down.  After a few days Ariel, stopped to eat and drank only water.  When I looked at her, she wagged her tail, “thump, thump"  like a Morse Code of love.  The most difficult decision came; to let go of the one you love.

Although I know there is a heaven for animals, I was heartbroken.  A friend showed me compassion even though I knew she was not fond of dogs.  She smiled and told me how difficult it had been for her when her mother slipped into Alzheimer's grip.  It's painful to see someone you love slip away from you.

I told Max and Olivia that Ariel was very sick.  Their behavior around Ariel changed to be more calmly inside.  A peace of mind shrouded the house!  The group of twelve dogs, each walked up to Ariel, sniffed her and walked away.  It was their way of saying goodbye.  I tried to be as strong as they.  Daring to love in the fullest, and when it was time, let the heart be full of love and satisfaction for the time we had together.  Ariel taught me that whatever happens in life, you do not forget, but it is important to be able to let go and continue to live with love and trust.

The vet came and helped Ariel over to the other side.  One of my dogs, Shiloh, laid down beside her. When someone in the pack tried to come up, Shiloh growled and chased them away.  With her nose, she tried to cover Ariel with the blanket that she was lying on, like burying her.  It was most interesting, as Shiloh had acted much the same way when we lost our Black Labrador Retriever Ranger in Italy.

I cried! Olivia put her arms around my neck, "Mom, breathe in and out!"  Outside, it was raining heavily. Max wanted to build a doghouse above the grave "so that Ariel does not get wet.”
Max went on with his own hypothesis, "Mom, what if Ariel is just sleeping!  Do you think God gets angry that we send a sleeping dog up to Him?"

Olivia glared at him, "Ariel is healthy now. She has already had a meeting with God.  God does not accept anyone who is not ready! "

I responded tenderly upon Olivia's words, "no one”.  She knew that we all would go up there, animals and people traveling to another place when we are finished here on earth.

That's Amore!

No comments: