Friday, November 27, 2009

JAZMIN HAS A BROKEN HEART


I got this picture in my email box a week ago with the text that this was Jazmin, she needed a family in 15 days since her family was moving to the States without her. This picture spoke so much to me that I couldn't delete it, so many questions ran through my head. And the loudest question was "How can you leave your friend/pet behind after 7 years together?"

After a couple of days I found out the phone number and spoke to the lady. This is the story I heard; "We bought Jazmin for 10 euro 7 years ago. She has been great with my three children the age between 2 and 11 years old but she chases the cat."

I told her people would not understand why they were not bringing her with them. "The airlines said it was too cold to fly her in and it would be 4 stops for her."

And they were going to live in an apartment and wanted Jazmin to have a better life than living in an apartment.

I told her that she didn't know where Jazmin would end up now, or with whom --- that couldn't necessiarily mean a better life for Jazmin?

Had she tried the NFOA (adoption organization) here?

In September she got hold of them and was told she could come down to the adoption day with Jazmin but she couldn't do that with three children, standing there the whole day.

I wondered why couldn't a friend babysit or her husband, or....

Had she talked to family and friends I asked her. They didn't have a big family, her husband's family lived here in Napoli and they all lived in apartments.

I found out that since they got a cat, it had lived inside, and Jazmin was kicked outside... since 3 years ago. There had also been another dog, an older one living with Jazmin outside, but that one was put down to sleep a couple of weeks ago.

I told the woman not to tell the children any fairytales about where Jazmin would go or why.

To my surprise I was told the children rather wanted the cat, the cat slept with one of the children!

I sent her an email telling her we could come Friday and pick her up. The reply was if we could come before 12, since they had other things to do!

That was ok with by me but they had to make a donation to AWL since we clean up when people doesn't want their friends anymore but never a check saying thank you for solving my problem.

Of course she had thought about that.

I told them we are a foundation that helps sick strays not driving around picking up pets that the families are tired of, or "cannot bring the with them"

Today at their house, no one said good bye to their dog. I asked the girl what Jazmin didn't like, "To be out in the rain and being jumped on!"


The rain poured down when we entered where she lay, for three years, her home was under a terrible balcony on an old wet blanket. She didn't want to come out to the man who tried to get her. Finally he got her out and I had to tell the girl, the daughter to hug Jazmin good-bye. They had been together for 7 years, and she had to be told!
She petted Jazmin and ran into the house. Eric opened the door and Jazmin jumped right in, and so did we ---quickly--- we just wanted to get away from there. In my SUV she was in the back. Eric said, "Do you want to sit in my lap?" (Eric wants her :-)

She is wonderful inside. No accidents. Nothing with my 13 other dogs. Olivia loves her and have been sitting with her for hour. My husband looked at me. "I love this girl"

She is calm, polite and careful. She is a true wonderful lady.

Her heart is broken. She doesn't understand what went wrong or like children many times wonder, "What did I do wrong?"

Her best friend for many years, the older dog, that kept her warm was put down to sleep a couple of weeks ago, and she didn't get closure on that loss, either.

We didn't even get to know what her habits were, what she eats...nothing. Just the paper and made sure we would sign the ownership. That was it!

And what I don't get is that she is microchiped, rabies and vaccination shots, her record is up to date, how can you be so thourough with that and not bring her with you?

Apartment! Well start walking the dog, it's just one dog!

Oh yes, thank you Eric for carrying in the four bags of dog food that was donated from them.

And yes they said thank you!

Remember this is not Animals Without Limits blog! The views expressed are mine alone.

9 comments:

Äppelblom said...

Poor little girl!

How can there be people like this? How can they live with themselves???

I had a neighbor that did like that: her cats lived inside and her dog was trown outside to live alone. We called to the animal inspectors here in Sweden but they couldn´t do anything since the dog had water and "shelter" when they paid a visit. So it´s not against the law to let a dog live outside in cold winter all alone and with no flock arond them. What kind of laws are we having that alow that to happen?????

Laura said...

I was introduced to your blog by my wonderful neighbor, Lindy. What a sad story about Jazmin, how can people have such small hearts? She had mentioned a sweet dog named Snoopy that might be available for adoption- did you have any pics/story/background on Snoopy? My email is lcaro@vt.edu.
We live in Pozzuoli with a nice, fenced in yard...a 16 month old little boy who LOVES dogs..we're moving to VA in June and promise to bring a dog home to love forever. We actually prefer older dogs over puppies because of their calm demeanor. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Thank you for all that you do,
Laura Schlegel
081-303-6190

Mother in Action said...

I know it will be a big question why someone don't bring their friend with them? Will we ever find out...

Amore

Anonymous said...

This is so infuriating! What a bunch of lies and lame excuses for not taking Jazmin with them.
When I left Italy, I flew out of Rome in the middle of February to New York. When the airline checked local temperature in NYC preflight it was barely 8 degrees celcius. I had the necessary waiver saying the dogs could travel in any temperature AND the airline called my veterinarian Bernardo Ciervo in Casal and he said that my dogs were cleared for flight regardless of temperature. My two dogs arrived safe and sound!
And when I found out you can only fly 2 dogs per ticketed passenger on any commercial flight-I SHIPPED my 3rd dog air cargo for 300 euro, and it wasnt too cold to ship her either!
I would have stayed in Italy for the rest of my life if I had to leave one of my family members behind.
I wonder if they could only fly 1 child per flight out of italy would they leave one of their kids behind at an orphanage? UGH!

Mother in Action said...

WE LOVE YOU KATH.

Eric said...

Kathryn, god bless you. I think Mia was the reason I kept my mouth shut the day we picked her up...I was just glad to get her away from there. By the way, I re-named her, although I am at capacity right now, I hope to take her and my other four dogs away from this place when I go...here's to hoping.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU AND AWL TOO MIA!

Eric- here's to hoping you find 5 more to add to the 4 you are taking with you when you leave.... ha! Gods speed....
If you need any inside info or help with paperwork when the time comes to start getting your Pack ready for PCS please email me, I still have all of my documentation, contact names, phone numbers. THe air cargo company I used to ship my little angel Cinderella was thoughtful, considerate, and most important gentle to my baby and made the process a heck of a lot easier.
Keep up the great work, EVERYONE.
xoxoxo miss you all.

Mother in Action said...

Yes we would love to have those documents so I can hit them in their heads with them. The hard thing is, not to be angry towards the people who treat their animals wrong -- since you need to get your hands on that dog.

Remember Kath you were AWL first mission girl here in Campania :-)

Wish you were here

Amore

Adore Animals Foundation said...

Hi Mia,

Thanks for such a poignant post.

We've written about it on our blog at http://adoreanimals.com/home/the-reality-of-dog-rehoming/

We have a strong interest in dog rehoming and have made it our major project for the next 3 years. You can read about our project at http://adoreanimals.com/pages/dog-rehoming/

We'll keep an eye on your blog with much interest. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Adore Animals Foundation