Thursday, March 13, 2008

Getting Help for Animals in Need

Many people write to me asking what they can do to help animals in need. They want to do something but don't know what. Normally I tell them it doesn't have to be much, support little but maybe often.
I had a dog-food donation drive last week. We made a flyer, sent it out to over 250 people that live around here. It didn't have to be expensive big bags, we were happy if it was three (3) cans of dog food. We wanted the dog food to go to the Shelter St Francesco--writen about earlier on the blog- with 500 dogs and loving people that are working day and night to give these dogs food, a home and love.

In total, we received three (3) bags of dog food, one from me and my two friends (German and Italian) donated one each.

What I noticed and had experienced a lot from my time in Bosnia, was that many people want to come and look and pet dogs. They forget many times that it is the hard work behind the scenes that is so important: collect food and get the information out.
Many of my Bosnian workers didn't want people to come and look, one felt like he was on a circus being glared at. He just wanted to help the animals by taking care of them with our help.

Many forgot about the donation and asked why I didn't remind them? Well, next time, write a memory note, put it up on your refrigerator or front door, that will help you remember those who need you.
One person told me this would happen because no one knows who I am down here (yet). That is understandable, but " they" knew who had the drop off zone for the food at the NATO base, and the Shelter is an old place from 1960.
I was also told that here are so many donations drives in this area that your head is getting filled up with "please donate" letters. Many people are doing a wonderful job down here, I heard that American and German ladies here are doing fantastic donation drives.
So, it is "just" to roll up one's sleeves again...the job is not finished.

This is no good barking Amore news, but soon it will become darn good crispy Amore news!

No comments: